Here at the Wellpark Brewery, we brew, package and ship millions of cans, kegs and bottles of beer every week. We produce our own brands, like Tennent’s and Caledonia Best – but we also produce a wide variety of other beers on behalf of other breweries and retailers. Regardless of what recipe we’re brewing, it’s really important that every pint is perfect – and that’s where our Quality team come in. They are the people that oversee our products, production environment and production processes to make sure that the final products consistently meet the high compliance standards associated with beer production.
So what’s involved?
You’d work with our lab team to learn all about the processes and standards we follow to ensure that our beers are created to exact specifications every time. You can expect to get involved in:
- Analysis and testing of samples through different stage of the brewing process
- Microbiological testing
- Reporting of results to relevant stakeholders
- Sensory analysis
Most of your learning will happen on the job, but you’ll also spend c.1 day a week in college studying for a nationally recognised science qualification (HNC/NVQ). After c.2 years, you’ll be a fully qualified QA Technician. We hope that you’ll then move into a permanent Quality Assurance role, and continue to develop and grow your career with us.
What you’ll need:
- A good academic background – You probably enjoyed STEM subjects like maths, chemistry and biology while you were at school, and you'll have at least one Higher (or equivalent) in a STEM subject.
- Good written and spoken English
- A conscientious approach – You’re accurate, reliable and hardworking, and don’t take shortcuts
- The desire to learn, both on-the-job, and through part time study
- An interest in developing a career in the food and drink industry
- Some experience in life, school or employment that demonstrates your ability to live our four ‘T’ values – Tenacious (the determination to make things happen), Trusted (people know they can rely on you), Tempted (curiosity and confidence to try new things), True (respecting your team mates and looking out for each other).
What you’ll get:
While you’re training, you’ll receive £8.41 per hour, as well as a fully funded college qualification. You’ll also get the option to join our staff pension. You’ll get 30 days holiday a year, and the chance to earn an annual bonus. And you’ll receive a product allowance (but you’ll be limited to soft drinks until you turn 18!)
Normally we ask people to apply with CVs, but we realise that you won’t have much work experience so creating a CV might be tricky. Instead, we’d like you to complete the attached Profile. Fill it in, save it somewhere, and then apply for the role. When you’re asked to upload a CV, just upload your completed form instead. We’re aiming to hold interviews in late June/early July, and have the successful apprentices start in early August. Good luck!